Winter Weather Tips To Protect Your Business
Tips To Keep Your Business Safe During The Winter
In Atco, NJ, a winter storm is inevitable. Storm damage, however, is not. The right amount of preparation helps minimize or avoid weather-related problems at your commercial property. Here are some tips for protecting your business during this cold, snowy season.
Know the Risks
Plowing the parking lot is not the only concern as the snow piles up. Good preparation begins by understanding potential problems during the winter months:
- Water leaking inside the structure from ice dams
- Roof damage caused by a heavy snow load
- Pipe break due to frozen pipes
- Flooding when snow melts
Plan for all Contingencies
Prior to freezing temperatures, perform regular maintenance on your property. Even during a winter storm, oftentimes complications are preventable:
- To avert ice dams, ensure that there is adequate insultation, ventilation and sealants. During a storm, a snow rake is an effective tool for removing snow from the roof.
- Consider having a professional eliminate snow and ice from the rooftop when the snow load reaches 20-25 pounds per square foot of space.
- Protect against a pipe break by sealing exterior spaces that allow cold air inside, insulating pipes, letting faucets drip in freezing temperatures and keeping interior temperatures above 55 degrees.
- Flooding occurs when temperatures rise, especially when rain expedites melting snow. Maintain drain and gutter systems by removing debris before winter. Landscape the ground to slope away from the building and seal any foundation cracks. Do not allow snow to pile up against the building structure.
Before winter storm season in Atco, NJ, maintain your commercial building at regular intervals. When temperatures drop, carefully monitor the weather forecast and take necessary precautions to prevent storm damage. Sometimes, severe weather causes destruction that is not preventable. In those instances, the best course of action is not to delay. Contact a storm restoration professional that is Faster to Any Size Disaster to mitigate and prevent secondary damage.