Recent Storm Damage Posts
Flood Prevention in Large Cities
Thames barrier in England
Flood Prevention in Large Cities
High water levels after a storm can cause severe flood damage. Lowlands and coastal areas are particularly vulnerable.
Many paved areas do not have proper drainage, which can lead to a buildup of water on city streets. Even traditional levees and dams are insufficient.
While an emergency restoration services company can help with flood cleanup, preventing storm damage entirely ensures that businesses continue running after a weather disaster. That is why some cities have implemented advanced technologies to keep out floodwaters.
Oosterschelde, Hagestein Weir and Maeslantkering in the Netherlands
Since 60 percent of Holland's population lives below sea level, it is no surprise that the Netherlands is known for its incredible flood prevention systems. One of these is called the Oosterschelde, or the Eastern Scheldt Storm Surge Barrier. These movable gates helped lower the tidal height.
The Hagestein Weir, meanwhile, is a movable dam that blocks high water from the Rhine River. It features two arched gates that can be rotated open or closed. This weir has been in place since 1960 and has inspired similar structures around the world.
A more modern structure is the Maeslantkering, or Maeslant Storm Surge Barrier. It features tanks that fill up as water rises. The weight of this water then keeps the walls of the barrier closed.
Watergates in Japan
As an archipelago, Japan is also prone to flooding. The country thus utilizes canals and sluice-gate locks. It also has numerous water gates that contain hydraulic motors. These gates can thus continue running during power outages.
Thames Barrier in England
The Brits created a hollow steel barrier to block high water from the Thames River. The revolving gates typically remain open so ships can get through but close during major storms.
Perhaps some of these technologies will eventually make their way to Clementon, NJ. In the meantime, property owners will have to rely on more old-fashioned techniques to stop flooding and prevent the need for storm cleanup.
Let Us Handle Your Storm Worries
SERVPRO of Berlin/Williamstown will go the extra mile to handle your flood disaster from start to finish. As soon as the storm has ended, we will be ready for when you call. The longer you wait to call, the more damage will occur. Your health and safety is paramount, as well as the home's structure.
The Bottom Line
A flooded home can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home's integrity. It's worth making a call to SERVPRO of Berlin/Williamstown and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We're available 24 hours a day, and we are preferred vendors to many National Insurance Companies. And-we will bill your insurance directly-one less thing for you to worry about.
Call today (856) 728-7350
Tips and Practices
It's impossible to prevent storms from occurring but you can control how you keep your property. Ensuring your property is kept in the best possible condition by adhering to these tips and practices, you will have some solid peace of mind.
- Never store items next to heaters or any open flame.
- Check your fire extinguisher every year.
- Inspect and clean fireplace chimney regularly.
- Do not overload extension cords/outlets.
- Check smoke detector batteries yearly
- Inspect and clean furnace every year.
- Check washing machine hoses and dryer vents.
- Turn off water when going on vacation.
- Turn off all outside water in the winter.
- Do not put water on a grease fire, instead use a lid or flour to prevent further damage.
SERVPRO of Berlin/Williamstown can help you in your time of need. We're just a phone call away (856) 728-7350 and can give you the peace of mind that is needed in a time of a crisis situation.
Winter Storm - Be READY
Winter is here if we like it or not and being prepared is the key to surviving a bad storm. Some basic things you should need is an emergency home and care kit and emergency contact list.
Emergency Home Kit List
- Water and food for family and pets
- Warm Clothes and Blankets
- Candles and Matches
- Pocket Knife
- Emergency Plan
Emergency Car Kit List
- Warm Blanket
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Antifreeze
- Bottle Water
- Read to Eat Snacks
Emergency Contact List
- Family Members
- Local Evacuation Shelters (people and pets)
- Out-of-State Contacts
- Primary Physician
- Local Hospital
- SERVPRO of Berlin/Williamstown (856) 728-7350 for you property damages
Remember SERVPRO of Berlin/Williamstown is here 24/7 for your winter storm property damages. The quicker you call us, the quicker we can make it “Like it never even happened”
Berlin Residents We Specialize in Flooded Basements by Storms
When storms occur, a basement can flood at any time. Most flooding occurs during a heavy rainfall storm. Basements are always very prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. All that it takes is a moderate storm to create a flooded basement.
This could cause:
- A blocked or failed sewerage pipe
- Heavy Rain causes surface water to pool around your home.
- Storm Sewer Backup.
- Sanitary Sewer Backup.
- Foundation drainage failure.
- Water supply-line break or hot water tank failure
If storm waters are not handled properly, your health and safety will be at risk, and cause severe damage to your home's structure. Remember, the longer you wait - the worse the problem will get.
Call SERVPRO of Berlin/Williamstown Today (856) 728-7250
Prepare Your Homes for Winter Storms
It's that time of the year again and we here at SERVPRO of Berlin / Williamstown want you n your homes to be prepared for the brutal cold of winter storms. It is not something anyone looks forward to but it is best to be prepared.
Follow these tips recommended by www.ready.gov/winter-weather to prepare yourself and your home for winter.
Before Snowstorms and Extreme Cold
- Make a family communication plan. Your family may not be together when disaster strikes, so it is important to know how you will contact one another, how you will get back together and what you will do in case of an emergency.
- Make an emergency kit for at least three days of self-sufficiency.
- Keep space heater safety in mind: Use electric space heaters with automatic shut-off switches and non-glowing elements. Remember to keep all heat sources at least three feet away from furniture and drapes.
Prepare You Home
- Make sure your home is well insulated and that you have weather stripping around your doors and window sills to keep the warm air inside.
- Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector.
- Keep fire extinguishers on hand, and make sure everyone in your house knows how to use them. House fires pose an additional risk, as more people turn to alternate heating sources without taking the necessary safety precautions.
- Learn how to shut off water valves (in case a pipe bursts).
- Insulate your home by installing storm windows or covering windows with plastic from the inside to keep cold air out.
- If you have a wood burning fireplace, consider storing wood to keep you warm if winter weather knocks out your heat. Also, make sure you have your chimney cleaned and inspected every year.
- Have at least one of the following heat sources in case the power goes out:
- Extra blankets, sleeping bags and warm winter coats
- Fireplace or wood-burning stove with plenty of dry firewood, or a gas log fireplace
- Make sure you have a cell phone with an emergency charging option (car, solar, hand crank, etc.) in case of a power failure.
- Plan to bring pets inside.
- Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located and how to operate it in case you lose power.
Follow these recommended tips and you will be prepared for those cold winters’ days. If you are ever in need for storm damages please be prepared and save our number in your phones now SERVPRO of Berlin / Williamstown (856) 728-7350 we are here 24/7.
How Storm Damage Restoration Professionals Can Help You
If you're dealing with storm damage it is imperative to get professional assistance as soon as possible. You need to act fast and hire a restoration company that has a well established history of providing excellent service to home and business owners. SERVPRO of Berlin/Williamstown is that team that strives to make your damage “like it never even happen.”
Storms can cause rain, wind, hail, ice, and snow which can damage properties in many ways. These damages can result in huge repair cost if the proper team is not restoring the loss. Our team cares about what you have been through and ensuring you get professional service.
Don’t let a storm damper you day call SERVPRO of Berlin/Williamstown at (856) 728-7350.